Friday, October 8, 2010

Measuring up to the Walking Stick

ok - so here's what I'm wondering:

My sister, Sparkly, has a little boy just 1 week older than Dream Boy (1 year old). He ranks in their family hierarchy at the same level as Dream Boy does in mine. (even down to being the only boy)..

Her little fella was walking at the tender age of 8 months.  These days he walks up and down stairs, opens doors and runs with ease.

My Dream Boy doesn't.  What he DOES do is a sorta Gorilla Bum Bump 'n Slide (very rapidly I might add), and I definitely have to keep him away from the 3 stairs that are on my property.  (I need to let the bumps on his forehead heal before he attempts it yet again, lest someone think he's being beaten and calls The Authroities).

Now this isn't about comparing, because I'm solidly aware that my kids are ALREADY uncontestedly the most amazing kids on Earth,  but I'm wondering this:  Sparkly and her hubby are extremely athletic.  They both work out for hours every day - In fact, her husband will be breaking the world record for a pretty widely-known worldwide sporting event this next weekend. (One that involves A LOT of running).

I, on the other hand, satisfy my fitness requirements by chasing kids around.  I also garden, participate in the Zen art of Housekeeping (really - I totally dig washing baseboards and ceiling fans), take 3-year-old-paced walks and regularly sweep kiddie-goo off of my very large patio.  I haul wood to stock up for my wintertime fireplace, and I make soap (yes, that is too fitness--I stir it with my own two hands).

Granted, that's not really a Gorilla Bum Bump 'n Slide - sliding on my bum and hands along the floor instead of walking (I'm generally standing through most of that stuff) - but it IS sort of a mutated view of fitness.

So - what I wonder is this:  Is Sparkly's little guy just a walking prodigy, or did he just see SO MUCH running and walking that he decided to try it as soon as he was able?  Hm.  Maybe it's just that Dream Boy is very fat, or maybe he's just really smart - after all, don't we ALL wish we could just relax and be carried a bit more...?

I wonder.  What do you think?

1 comment:

  1. Where exactly do I find these Authroities? Are they hanging out with Hippocrates and Socrates? Ha ha ha ha ha...

    ReplyDelete

I loves me a lively discussion. Passion is always a plus. Rudeness, however is not. Therefore, comments I deem to be rude will be deleted. Promptly. ROCK ON!