Thursday, October 6, 2011

Oh, the Whiny Woes of a Mother

I feel defeated today.

I am tired.  I am cranky.  I feel overwhelmed. 


The Occupation of Wall Street is currently underway.  A glorious effort on the part of so many thousands of people to change the broken American way of life.  I itch and twitch all over to be a physical part of it, but, alas, my circumstances are not conducive to me packing up and heading to New York City to walk with the protesters.

I support the Occupiers fully with all of my heart.  I send them energy, I donate money to feed them, I cajole my family and friends into acknowledging the possibility of triumph, and I take action on a much smaller, more personal scale by writing letters to congressmen, by signing and distributing petitions and by publicly voicing my disdain over my six-year-old daughter's school's apparent love-affair with child-exploitative fundraisers.

In doing so, I have neglected my homework, I have forsaken my "alone time", and I have taken a solid stand against the very prevalent "This Is How You Are Supposed To Be Norm" of my neighborhood/community. 

And, contrary to the euphoria I dream of, I often am left me feeling exhausted. 

My children, though, WILL NOT inherit the disgusting Corporatocracy that we have created for them if there's anything I can do about it.  My children WILL NOT grow up thinking that what they OWN defines who the ARE.  My children WILL NOT feel dis-connected and disempowered, and they WILL NOT allow themselves to be belittled and controlled by money-mongering soulless demons.

If there's anything I can do about it.

I look at their beautiful faces as they are quiet, in sleep, for a few magical hours, and I know they are destined for so much more than that.

I feel defeated.  Yet tomorrow I will arise again and move forward again.  I will challenge the status quo.  I will blaze trails.  I will insist that this world move away from greed and towards collective joy.

This is what I can do.

1 comment:

  1. When we went to Thailand, I remember thinking every day, "This isn't that cool. I mean it's ok, but it's just another day. Thailand, the "vacation," the beach - none of these are really making me any happier." But now, years later, I can speak of it with fondness.

    Well. I think OWS is the same way. While I was in the park the first day, and then at the march the other day, it was just like walking down the streets of NYC. No, actually, it was just like walking down a street anywhere. There I was, walking down the street. I suppose, though, that it will warm my heart to know I took part in this years from now.

    And, it will warm your heart years from now that instead of walking down a street, you slept in a bed with 4 perfect souls and two glorious furballs. You lived the ultimate life of devoting yourself to others.

    Proud to be in the 99%.

    ReplyDelete

I loves me a lively discussion. Passion is always a plus. Rudeness, however is not. Therefore, comments I deem to be rude will be deleted. Promptly. ROCK ON!